By default, most Windows computers only have one of the many free PDF readers, whose functionality leaves much to be desired. In order to learn how to combine PDF files and merge multiple documents, or even to just compare files, you have to get a little creative depending on your operating system of choice.
We show you the different options, including clear step-by-step instructions.
How to Combine PDF Files?
- Use the Paid Tools of Adobe Acrobat DC
- How to Combine PDF Files for Free with PDF24 Creator:
Download PDF24 Creator
Use PDF24 Online Tools
To begin with, let’s take a look at the classic:
Use the Paid Tools of Adobe Acrobat DC
Whether you want to know how to combine PDF files, convert the documents, or edit extensively, the programs from Adobe help you with it. It’s not for nothing that Acrobat Reader is still considered the leader in PDF – since 1993, the software has been continuously developed.
You can find the download directly on the manufacturer’s page. But beware: For the advanced tools, which include merging multiple PDFs, you need Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. If you are unsure, you can simply test the offer for 7 days. Otherwise, during the installation, you need to undo the check mark at McAfee Antivirus if you don’t want to use the additional protection.
Once you have activated and opened your version, you can merge PDF files as follows:
- First, check that you are actually logged in with your Adobe account.
- Then click on the Tools tab (under the menu bar) and select Merge Files.
- The wizard will help you add the right documents.
- Select the appropriate files and click Merge.
- Now you have the possibility to edit the individual pages.
How to Combine PDF Files for Free with PDF24 Creator
The software with the sheep has become very popular. Extract images, remove or set up password protection or delete individual pages of a PDF, the PDF24 Creator scores with a wide range of functions. A central feature is also the linking of multiple PDFs. Two methods are available to you for this, both of which lead to the same result:
1. Download PDF24 Creator
Click on the link below to download the latest version. After the installation, you proceed as follows to combine PDF files:
- Use the folder structure on the left to select all the PDF documents you want to combine.
- Drag and drop the files into the still empty black field while holding down the mouse button.
- In this preselection, you can change the order of the PDFs by moving them.
- Once you have made your decision, click on Combine all or selected documents (two circles) in the toolbar.
- That’s it. All you have to do is Save. You can still delete individual pages.
2. Use PDF24 Online Tools
If you don’t want to download an extra program, you can alternatively combine your PDF files via PDF24.org. The process is even simpler compared to the software, but lacks certain elements such as deleting individual pages.
Using the button, you again drag the appropriate PDF documents into the window or select them directly by their location. The page automatically starts uploading the files. Afterwards, you can change the order as usual. The Merge button completes the process.
Self-explanatory, there are many other websites that offer this service for free without showing you how to combine PDF files. However, you should always be careful who you entrust sensitive data to. The best thing to do is to run a proven virus scanner in the background, which immediately checks suspicious downloads. Because not every software is like Microsoft Office and can constantly guarantee the security of your information if you merge PDF files.