How to make your computer faster with Windows 10? The longer you use a PC, the slower it works over time – sometimes even noticeably. This is not a figment of your imagination, but a symptom that even the most modern Windows 10 PCs suffer from. The reasons for this are many, but usually related to somewhat neglected maintenance. Quickly, these problems spread and cause various error messages in all areas of your operating system. Therefore we’ll show you how to clean up your computer to run faster on Windows 10.
If you are experiencing such difficulties with Windows Update, you are welcome to take a look at our detailed guide. In the following, we will rather deal with the best tips for cleaning up your PC and making Windows faster. The focus of this article is on the on-board tools that Windows 10 already comes with, and less on additional software recommendations.
In the very first step, you should thoroughly clean and dust your hardware once. This will greatly benefit the operating temperature. After that, you start your computer, and you can clean up the PC as follows:
How to Make your Computer Faster with Windows 10?
- Detect and Remove Malware
- Empty Windows 10 Cache
- Delete Unnecessary Programs
- Defragment your Hard Drive under Windows 10
- Disable Startup Programs
- Close Background Apps
- Turn off Virtual Memory
- Turn off Visual Effects
- Speed up PC with Free Software
- Reset PC to Factory Settings
Let’s start with the most important of these 10 methods on how to make your computer faster with Windows 10, which you should generally perform at regular intervals.
1. Essential System Cleanup: Detect and Remove Malware
In times of the internet, where downloads are a daily occurrence, a working antivirus program should be standard. Do you put your trust in big names like McAfee, Kaspersky or Norton? Then your system should already be sufficiently protected. However, installing different providers at the same time is overkill. If you want to learn how to clean up your computer to run faster on Windows 10, you can start here and only use your preferred software. Then it may even be worth it to disable Windows Defender to free up more resources and make Windows faster.
Finally, open the antivirus program of your choice and start a comprehensive system check. If the application is worth the money (even as a free variant), you should get an overview of all possible problem cases after a while. Most brands offer you an option to safely remove the dangerous malware right away. In particular, look out for popular representatives like Segurazo, which disguise themselves as helpful files. Because it is often these useless collections that eat up extra reserves.
2. Basic System Cleanup: Empty Windows 10 Cache
Windows 10 cache – what is it, you may be asking yourself now. Simply put, a cache is a temporary storage that every operating system works with. In this archive, running applications store certain temporary data in order to access them in the future without delay. Over time, a lot of information accumulates in these memories, which may have long since become obsolete.
Since the cache of Windows 10 Home is not deleted automatically, you have to know how to make your computer faster with Windows 10 yourself. To do this, you can simply use Microsoft’s Disk Cleanup:
How to Clean Up your Computer to Run Faster on Windows 10: Remove Data Junk for Free!
- Launch the application. The fastest way to do this is to use the Windows 10 search (Windows logo key +S), where you type Disk Cleanup.
- If your computer has multiple drives, select the appropriate one. In principle, it is best to start with the C drive.
- In the overview of the data to be deleted, you can now make a selection. Take a closer look at the recycle bin and the temporary internet files.
- Confirm your selection with OK. The data garbage is now disposed of.
3. Further System Cleanup: Delete Unnecessary Programs
Everyone has installed a program without using it more than once. Especially free software solutions that promise more productivity fall under this category. That’s why in this guide we mainly refrain from recommending further applications with which you can clean up your computer to run faster on Windows 10. After all, all apps cost storage space, which is ultimately limited. If you want to make Windows faster, you should always delete programs that are no longer needed.
It is best to start with the pre-installed apps from Windows 10. Or you can work through the list and uninstall diligently:
Where can I Uninstall Programs in Windows 10?
- Go to the Windows settings (gear icon in the Start menu or Windows logo key + I).
- Click on the button called Apps.
- The Apps & Features section will open, giving you a handy list of all installed programs. Select the apps you haven’t opened in ages to uninstall them.
- Follow the instructions of the respective wizard. Done!
4. How to Make your Computer Faster with Windows 10: Defragment your Hard Drive
If you have not yet completely switched to SSD and are using an HDD, you should defragment it frequently. Especially when using multiple storage devices in parallel, which Windows 10 often does not display correctly. The longer a hard disk is in use, the larger the data blocks are that will be read out and gradually get mixed up. Defragmentation resets these contents back to the beginning and rearranges the elements, allowing you to make your computer faster with Windows 10.
Therefore, to make Windows a bit quicker, proceed as follows:
How can I Clean Up the Hard Drive?
- Open Windows Explorer by double-clicking on any folder.
- Use the This PC overview on the left to access your devices and drives.
- Right-click on the hard drive you want to defragment.
- Via Properties you find the Tools tab, where you click the Optimize button under Optimize and Defragment.
- Confirm your choice and start optimizing. This way you can clean up your PC.
5. Clean up your PC: Disable Startup Programs
When your computer is restarted, not only does your operating system start up but also various applications at the same time. This costs valuable seconds right at the beginning and devours resources during normal use, since the programs continue to run in the background. This is only practical if the software stored in the autostart is actually needed. Otherwise, you should begin right here if you want to see how to clean up your computer to run faster on Windows 10.
Compared to some previous versions, Windows 10 fortunately provides you with a handy overview:
How can I Change Programs in the Autostart?
- You can access Microsoft’s Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- In the menu bar, you will see the Startup tab. You may need to select More Details first.
- Go through the list of programs and deactivate entries if necessary. A look at the startup effects can help you with your decision.
- The changes should be valid after the next reboot.
6. How to Clean Up your Computer: Close Background Apps
Generally, further developments of important program features are to be welcomed, as they improve the functionality of your apps. For example, most of the software solutions in Windows 10 continue to run in the background and keep you up to date. Information is exchanged continuously, which means that notifications from your e-mail client will constantly reach you. But also specific applications like the voice assistant Cortana belong to this, if you do not have it deactivated.
The other side of the coin: The mass of background programs slows down the performance of Windows significantly. If you want to clean up your computer to run faster on Windows 10, you should therefore close some unnecessary apps.
How can you Close Apps Running in the Background?
- Again, start in the settings of your operating system (gear icon in the Start menu or Windows logo key + I).
- First select Privacy and then on the left side the section Background Apps.
- Now you can specify which programs should no longer run in the background. To do this, switch the corresponding slider from On to Off.
- Alternatively, you can specify right at the beginning for all applications whether you want to allow apps to run in the background. Be careful with this option, though.
7. Windows 10 Optimization: Turn off Virtual Memory
Windows 10’s virtual memory supplements your computer’s RAM in critical moments. For example, in case of an imminent overload of the memory units due to large amounts of data or opening huge files. Reducing the size of your photos can help you get around this problem. Because the transition to the virtual partition also requires capacities that your system lacks elsewhere. If your (primary) hard disk is an SSD, you can safely ignore this method. In this case, the virtual memory has no influence on whether Windows is faster or slower.
By default, virtual memory is enabled in Windows 10. If you want to change this and learn how to make your computer faster with Windows 10, just stick to the following steps:
How to Make your Computer Faster with Windows 10: Finding Virtual Memory
- First, you should display the Advanced System Settings. To do this, type System Settings in the Start menu or via the Windows search function (Windows logo key + S).
- A new window will open. The Advanced tab should already be displayed, where you click on Settings right under Performance.
- Again, the Advanced tab is relevant. The Virtual Memory section gives you the option to Change the swap file.
- Remove the checkmark in front of Automatically manage file size for all drives.
- The selection of the item No swap file is now possible. Confirm with Set and OK, in this as in all previous windows.
- To finish this process, restart your PC.
8. Windows 10 Optimization: Disable Visual Effects
On the screenshots of the Windows 10 settings, you can see subtle graphical adjustments compared to the one of its predecessor Windows 8.1. The edges of the windows are more clearly defined, and the elements stand out from the background with a shadow. Furthermore, the apps and menus have been enhanced with numerous animations. These new visual effects of course affect the performance, although only to a small extent. To make Windows faster, you can still do without a few graphical gimmicks.
If you turn off the visual effects, the displays will be closer to the classic design. This is a good way to clean up your computer to run faster on Windows 10 and keep it simple to use.
Disable Windows 10 Visual Effects
- You want to customize the appearance and performance of Windows. To do so, search for Appearance in the Start menu or via Windows logo key + S.
- The Visual Effects tab is crucial here. This should already be selected.
- A quick solution would be to check the For optimal performance setting. This will disable most of the visual effects.
- Otherwise, you can also configure the visuals manually by changing the checkmarks in the list.
- Pressing OK will apply the modifications.
9. Speed up Windows 10 PC with Free Software
Online, you can find a plethora of free programs that promise to clean up your computer and make Windows faster. Some of them are useful, while others fall short of their expectations. So far in this guide, we’ve focused on the on-board Windows tools that come with installing the operating system. The reason is that this way you don’t need any additional applications that take up memory or harm performance in the background.
However, an exception should be made at this point for the free CCleaner from Avast. The optimization software proves to be very user-friendly and is thus also suitable for beginners. After the download you install and open the CCleaner. Especially the simple as well as the advanced cleanup should be looked at in detail if you want to clean up and declutter your PC. In addition to protecting your privacy, CCleaner also offers a health check since the last update, which automatically scans your system. Similar to AdwCleaners it is highly recommended to use it.
10. Last Option: Reset PC to Factory Settings
You have tried the other nine methods without Windows getting faster? Then you still have the option to reset your entire system to its factory state. This resets the settings and deletes any programs that were installed later. With Windows 10, you can decide for yourself whether the documents, pictures and all other data stored on the computer are also affected. However, it is still better to create a backup in advance, because recovering deleted files is not that easy.
In order for you to clean up your PC for good, just run the corresponding wizard:
How can I Reset Windows 10 to Factory Settings?
- Open the settings one last time via the gear icon or the Windows logo key + I shortcut.
- Via Update and Security you will find the menu item Restore.
- There you click on Reset this PC.
- A new dialog box appears and you specify whether you want to keep My Documents or remove Everything.
- Follow the setup support and complete the reset.
So now you know how to make your computer faster with Windows 10. At least with this last method, Windows should be faster and respond at least as well as it did at the beginning. If you are looking for more ways to clean up your PC, try to combine multiple PDF. Or combine large amounts of data into a WinRAR archive and thus create more order. Your performance will thank you if you finally learn how to clean up your computer to run faster on Windows 10.