A system-wide error can have various causes, which you have to consider accordingly – as we impressively prove in our overview. Windows error code 0x80070057 is no exception. However, you have a few options to eliminate the error quickly and cleanly:
- Identify Potential Problems with the Command Prompt
- Clean up Error Code 0x80070057 during Windows Update
- Another Option: Adjust CopyFile Frequency
- Alternative for Windows 10: Scan the Hard Disk
What is Hidden behind Error Code 0x80070057: E_INVALIDARG?
The combination 0x80070057 indicates an internal Windows 10 problem, which is why you usually receive the message “Wrong parameter” at the same time. More rarely, you may also get result code E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057) or the original message “ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER”. The latter occurs mainly with older versions like Windows 7.
There you will encounter error 0x80070057 most often during a backup, whereas formatting or updating your operating system can also be responsible for this to occur. In case of doubt, you often have to uninstall updates or even reinstall Windows completely. At the beginning, however, you should try a few simple measures that often lead to success.
(1) Identify Potential Problems with the Command Prompt
If a wrong parameter is stored deep in your system, error code 0x80070057 can have serious consequences and block certain areas completely. If you are already thinking about a comprehensive repair of Windows, we recommend that you first isolate the damaged files. Once you know where the error lies, the solution is already half found.
- The Command Prompt starts at the right place. You can search for it with Windows logo key + S or alternatively call cmd.exe via Windows logo key + R.
- It is important to log in as an administrator and start the console as an administrator. You can see the option for this by right clicking.
- Yes, you want to make changes to your device.
- A black window with text appears. Type or copy the command sfc /scannow into the first free space and press Enter.
- Your system files will be scanned. If Windows finds the cause of error 0x80070057, the repair should begin automatically.
(2) Clean up Error Code 0x80070057 during Windows Update
You can do with various configurations in the Microsoft registry that will make your life easier. This way you can also solve related defects such as error 0x80004005 at the same time. Because in the registry you find all further information – for your operating system, external programs or even about the latest updates:
- To open the Registry Editor, search for it using Windows logo key + S or run regedit using Windows logo key + R.
- For security reasons, you should run the application as administrator.
- Use the following path to reach the folder relevant for solving Result Code: E_INVALIDARG 0x80070057: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
- We are interested in the two entries named WUServer and WUStatusServer. These are now temporarily deleted by pressing Remove.
- If you are asked if you are sure, answer Yes. You can close the editor afterwards. After a restart the problem should be solved.
(3) Another Option: Adjust CopyFile Frequency
You are still in the registry editor? Good. Otherwise do steps 1 and 2 of the last tutorial again. Instead of the update folder, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\System.
Attention: We now explain a simple method, which in rare cases can help dealing with error 0x80070057. However, since we are actually making a change, you should be sure that you can copy the described steps exactly, so that your operating system works smoothly again. Otherwise you are left with advanced measures for recovery.
- You are in the System folder. Right-click and choose New: DWORD value (32-bit) to create an entry.
- The name of this file should be CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo.
- Then right click on it and choose Modify. We will now edit the settings of a function called CopyFile.
- In the Value field enter 1 instead of 0.
- As always, confirm with OK, close the editor and restart your PC.
(4) Alternative for Windows 10: Scan the Hard Disk
In connection with your hardware, error code 0x80070057 mainly occurs during the installation of Windows 10. If you are seeing the error, you will probably notice right away that the affected hard disk is no longer displayed correctly and reacts correspondingly worse. The installation process stops. Fortunately, you now know several ways to make use of console commands.
- We already know that the Windows 10 Command Prompt is hidden behind the shortcut cmd.exe. You can search for it in the Start menu as usual and run it as administrator.
- This time, the decisive command is chkdsk /f /r C:
- Before you press Enter, check again which hard disk was affected. If your partition is not called “C”, you have to change the abbreviation in the command.
- Similar to the first solution, a check will now run which cleans up detected errors by itself.
Close Error 0x80070057
We hope our small tutorial could help you. If your Windows runs without constant problems, you can finally concentrate on the important things again and work productively with Microsoft Office.
If error 0x80070057 is still bothering you, it might be worth upgrading your system. Our team can only recommend the new Windows 11 Pro to you. The future awaits you and it doesn’t involve Result Code: E_INVALIDARG 0x80070057.