Despite all the sophistication with which Microsoft develops operating systems, errors do occur from time to time in such a complex environment. “0xc000007b Error: The application was unable to start correctly” is one of those error codes that is specifically reported in Windows 10 64-bit regularly. Alternatively, the error can also be called 0xc00007b – with one less zero.
The Application was Unable to Start Correctly (0xc000007b)
Generally, this application error appears when opening a program which is no longer compatible with Windows 10 for various reasons. In particular, error 0xc000007b is not necessarily due to a problem with the opened software, but is related to the processing of the operating system. Accordingly, promising solutions start right there:
- Update Windows 10 and Restart your PC
- Reinstall the Application Affected by Error 0xc000007b
- Run the Application as Administrator
(1) Update Windows 10 and Restart your PC
Most users complain about error 0xc000007b shortly after installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. The error 0xc00007b particularly likes to affect proprietary programs like Skype or parts of the Microsoft Office suite. In this case, Windows often tries unsuccessfully to access 64-bit software from a 32-bit version.
Accordingly, in the first step, you should update your system to the latest version:
- Open the Settings via Windows logo key + I or via the gear icon in the Start menu.
- Select the Update and Security tab.
- Under Windows Update, click the Check for Updates button.
- Download all pending updates and install them. Optional updates can also help.
- Finally, restart your PC once.
Afterwards try to open the program that got you error code 0xc000007b again. If you encounter problems during the update process, our Windows 10 update guide should be of service.
(2) Reinstall the Program Affected by Error 0xc000007b
To be fair, if you don’t mind rebuilding the entire application, you should solve the problem this way in any case. Just make sure to save your personal settings and data beforehand. You can even delete certain preinstalled apps at the same time.
Then proceed as follows:
- Again, start the Settings with Windows logo key + I.
- This time you choose the option Apps (and Features).
- By scrolling you should now see a list of all installed programs. Select the application affected by error 0xc000007b.
- Click Uninstall and run the wizard.
- After that, you need to reinstall the software (usually by downloading it from the manufacturer’s website).
If you have the option, always download the installation file that matches your operating system.
Pro Tip: Before uninstalling, you can also try a reset. To do this, click on Advanced Options in the list and then on the Reset button. This method generally only works for apps from the Windows Store.
(3) Run the Application as Administrator
First you have to make sure that you are logged in with a Windows 10 administrator account. This access will provide you with extended privileges that will help you fix the 0xc00007b and 0xc000007b errors:
- On the desktop or in Explorer, select the program by right-clicking on it.
- You now have the option to edit its Properties.
- Switch to the Compatibility tab.
- Under Settings you will see the item Run program as administrator. Confirm this with a check mark.
- Accept the changes with OK. Done!
Error 0xc00007b and Further Possibilities
If these three solutions do not lead you to your goal, an expert should take care of your operating system. He can fix the error 0xc000007b by:
- checking the .NET Framework and update it to the latest version,
- executing the command chkdsk via the command prompt,
- or reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ packages.
Before you try to fix them yourself, you should always create a backup or even a recovery point for Windows. But be careful! Because these advanced possibilities require a certain amount of expertise.
If you don’t get any further and have to read “0xc000007b Error: The application was unable to start correctly” again and again, you have to reset Windows completely. The best thing to do is to think about an upgrade to Windows 11 at the same time.