Thinking about buying a new PC right now? If you already have all the hardware components with you, you are only missing an operating system that meets your requirements. So the question is: What is the difference between Windows 10 Home vs Pro? Is it even worth it to make an upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro?
Yes. Our overview shows you why:
In short, the right version depends on the individual case. Win 10 Professional offers additional features at a slightly higher price. This extended feature set proves to be helpful in so many cases that the operating system becomes more and more the standard. At least until the highly praised successor Windows 11 reaches the masses.
If you’re still deciding between Windows 10 Home vs Pro, you might be convinced by a more comprehensive look at all the key benefits:
The Advantages of Win 10 Professional at a Glance
- Encryption through BitLocker
- Enhanced protection with WIP (Windows Information Protection)
- MDM (Mobile Device Management) for better management
- Any Remote Desktop Connection
- Unlocking of the Hyper-V client
- Group policy and assigned access
- Microsoft Store on an enterprise basis
- Ownership of Windows updates
- Additional functions for company structures and home office
Whether Windows 10 Home or Pro, there is generally little to criticize about the operating system’s scope. Microsoft has diligently defended its position as a market leader over the years and added many practical features. In Germany alone, official statistics say that almost 80% of all computers use Windows, an impressive result. So, if you are still using Windows 7 at home, you should think about updating to Windows 10 as soon as possible.
But which version should you ultimately choose – what is the difference between Windows 10 Home vs Pro? Because if your studying years are behind you, and you are not a medium-sized company, then forget about the Education or Pro version or the Enterprise variants. Also, don’t be misled by Windows 10 S, which is only available for tablets. The real choice is usually in the difference between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro.
What is the Difference between Windows 10 Home vs Pro?
In a direct comparison, Windows 10 Pro provides some more advanced network settings compared to the Home version. In addition, Pro(fessional) users get access to various features that are intended for business use. As the name suggests, Windows 10 Home is best suited for private use. Thus, the difference between Windows 10 Home or Pro mainly depends on the intended use.
What are the Advantages of Windows 10 Pro in Detail?
Basic features, such as the virtual assistant Cortana or the security system Windows Hello are included in both options. Windows 10 Pro rather supplements Windows 10 Home with the following features:
- BitLocker encryption: If your device is lost or misplaced, BitLocker automatically turns on a lock mode so that unauthorized persons are denied access.
- Extended protection with WIP (Windows Information Protection): Data loss can be a big problem, especially if you also use your PC for professional work. Here, WIP prevents many problems; a clear plus point when comparing Windows 10 Home vs Pro.
- MDM (Mobile Device Management) for better management: compared to all the previous processes, you can now do things your way with the help of the cloud. Support for your smartphone and tablet is missing to this extent in Win 10 Home.
- Any Remote Desktop Connection: Without relying on third-party software, Windows 10 Pro offers you an unlimited connection to your computer – regardless of where it is located locally.
- Unlocking the Hyper-V client: This technique allows experienced users to virtualize servers and thus control multiple autonomous machines.
Tip: Our tutorial explains how to set up a virtual machine step by step.
- Group policy and assigned access: The options for controlling or separating individual users or identities are much more pronounced. If you are responsible for a large number of users as an administrator, you can define general settings with Win 10 Professional.
- Enterprise-based Microsoft Store: The place to find all your apps and features. Alternatively, in just a few steps, you can configure a device in kiosk mode, where only one program runs at a time. But whether you’re running Windows 10 Home or Pro, it is always possible to reinstall the Microsoft Store.
- Personal responsibility for Windows updates: With Windows 10 Home, all system updates are mandatory and can only be delayed for a certain amount of time. The Pro version, on the other hand, allows you to freely decide which updates you want.
- Additional features for corporate structures and home offices: For example, enterprise state roaming with Azure as well as Active Directory is supported for companies with the appropriate permissions.
Windows 10 Home vs Pro – Is it Worth the Price?
Right off the bat, Windows 10 Home is already cheaper than you might think, and Windows 10 Pro hardly costs more. Just take a look at our store – Windows 10 Home in contrast to Windows 10 Pro. These are one-time licenses, so-called Win 10 Keys, whose reliability we guarantee. All important updates are of course included in the price, no matter if you choose Windows 10 Home or Pro.
So take a close look at the list of features above, and you will see what the difference between Windows 10 Home vs Pro really is. If you want to use any of these functions, you should definitely go for the Pro version. Because after a short time it will pay for itself. For example, you could use the Remote Desktop Connection if you can do that without the paid TeamViewer.
For complete control over all your spreadsheets and documents, you could connect your new OS to Office 2021 Professional Plus right away. So what is the difference between Windows 10 Home vs Pro? A small investment in computing can pay off very quickly.